WRITERS GUILD FOUNDATION
INDUSTRY SUPPORT FUND
The Writers Guild Foundation has established an Industry Support Fund to assist members of the industry who are in financial distress as a direct result of the Writers Guild of America strike against the AMPTP, which began on November 5, 2007. This Fund is designed to provide emergency assistance for food, housing, transport, medical and other expenses, and will do this in two ways:
1) Make grants to organizations like The Actors Fund who are already providing emergency financial assistance and comprehensive social services; and
2) Assist individuals who do not qualify for other organizations, or whose financial need is greater than those organizations can provide. The IS Fund will not provide cash assistance but, where appropriate, may pay one or more bills on behalf of the applicant.
You may be eligible to apply for assistance from ISF if you meet the following criteria:
• You have earned at least $6,500 per year in the film or television industry for at least two years of the past five.
• You have lost your employment or are unable to work as a direct result of the WGA strike.
• You have already requested assistance from The Actors Fund or other industry relief funds for which you are eligible
• You are NOT a WGA member. WGA Members are eligible for assistance through existing relief funds. Contact the WGA Strike Fund, the WGA Good and Welfare Fund, the Motion Picture and Television Fund or the Actors Fund directly.
In considering whether to give assistance, the ISF Committee will take into account the following criteria:
(1) The financial impact of the WGA strike on the applicant and, if applicable, on his/her family and dependents;
(2) Whether the applicant is in serious jeopardy of losing housing, a car or medical coverage or is facing a similar financial emergency;
(3) Whether the applicant has applied for and obtained relief from The Actors’ Fund, Motion Picture Television Fund or other assistance programs or government/community benefits for which the applicant is eligible.
Applicants who have not applied anywhere else for assistance will first be referred to The Actors Fund. Note that the ISF will rely heavily on recommendations from the Actors Fund and other organizations when making its decisions.
For help call the Writers Guild Foundation at (323) 782-4692
You may also call The Actors Fund at (323) 933 9244 extension 55.
Note that the Writers Guild Foundation will be closed for the holidays from December 21, 2007 at 3:00 pm to January 2, 2008 at 9:30 am. If you need emergency assistance during this time call The Actors Fund at (323) 933 9244.
To Make a Donation
Donations to the fund may be made to the Writers Guild Foundation. Please make checks payable to the Writers Guild Foundation and write "Industry Support Fund" in the memo section of the check and mail to The Writers Guild Foundation Industry Support Fund, 7000 West Third Street, Los Angeles, CA 90048.
Payment may also be made by credit card. Call (323) 782 4692 or go to www.wgfoundation.org
Donations may also be made directly to The Actors Fund. Go to www.actorsfund.org for more information.
Donations to The Writers Guild Foundation and The Actors Fund are tax deductible to the extent allowable by law. Both are 501 ( c ) 3 organizations.